Due to the State of Emergency declared by Michigan Governor Whitmer for COVID-19, the Romeo Village Hall lobby is CLOSED until further notice. Staff will be here to answer phones and emails. (586)752-3565 or email at email@example.com.
*Please call the Building Department at (586)752-3565, opt. 5, to schedule inspections or questions about permit statuses.
*Information needed about the Cemetery or Village archives, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Letter from our Village President:
Important Message Regarding Coronavirus
From Village President Christine Malzahn
The County and State have declared a state of emergency related to the Coronavirus. The declaration provides them with access to assistance that might be needed as the situation evolves. It is a prudent to be prepared and not panic at this time. Health experts have repeatedly stated that the majority of cases are mild. Those who are elderly and have other health issues that weaken their overall state have more to be concerned about and should take extra precautions.
Romeo is announcing the following actions:
1. Your Bruce Township fire and EMS personnel and the Romeo Police Department are still on the job and will continue to serve in these most uncertain circumstances. They are following certain protocols to protect themselves and reduce risk of contact with any virus. I ask you limit your calls to emergency situations only at this time.
2. Essential services such as water and sewer services are vital so those crews will continue to serve. I have however ordered to close both the DPW site and the WWTP facility to any non-personnel effective immediately. Staff may shift their duties for the next few weeks to avoid unnecessary entry into homes, when possible. Final meter reading may be delayed. Weekly recycling and trash pick-up will continue as scheduled.
3. Building Inspection(s) on-sight services may be restricted over the next few weeks. Please call our building administrator Cindy Wilson for availability.
4. Office personnel, many of whom support essential roles, will continue to serve until further notice though we are reducing face to face interactions with limited walk-in hours. As of Monday March 16th, walk-ins hours will be 8:30 am – 12:00 Noon. We have taken certain steps in our offices to ensure a clean and safe environment and ask that you use the hand sanitizer provided at the front counter upon your entry. We are strongly encouraging residents to communicate via phone or email if at all possible. We have a drop box located on the side of the Village Hall so that you can leave any documentation or bill payments at any time. We will empty its contents periodically throughout the day. You may also use our on-line bill payment system – contact the Treasurer Sherri Maddox if you need assistance with payments.
6. Beginning Tuesday March 17, ALL municipal meetings will be postponed until further notice.
7. Please note that the state of emergency declaration by the Governor has closed all restaurants and bars – these small businesses will need our continued support and most will be offering carry-out services. PLEASE CONTINUE TO PATRONIZE THESE ESTABLISHMENTS if possible to help them survive this extreme loss of revenue.
8. The Center for Disease Control has excellent guidance on identifying symptoms and avoiding the virus. You can read more at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html.
This is a time to be cautious, not to panic. This is not a time to assign blame or create fear. It is simply a time to pull together to protect each other, especially our most vulnerable. Calm and prudent action will help avoid spreading the virus and reduce its impact on the fine people of Village of Romeo. Let’s work together as a community to keep our families safe and healthy.
Please join me in continuing to pray for our Nation, our County and our Community. I have witnessed the coming together of so many wonderful, generous people and I know these efforts will continue to assist the most needy and vulnerable in our area. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your cooperation and caring.
Village of Romeo President